- Dr. Fernando Rivera, Professor and Director, UCF Puerto Rico Research Hub, University of Central Florida
- Mitzy González, Program Manager, Coalition of Urban Serving Universities at the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities
- Zoé Colón, Community Partnerships Manager, UCF Parramore Education & Innovation District, University of Central Florida
FCAN host: Kathy McDonald, Assistant Director for Network Partnerships
Florida has the 3rd largest Latino population in the nation. In the last decade, Central Florida has received some of the largest waves of Latinos and Puerto Ricans. As the fastest growing demographic, it’s imperative we prepare this workforce for postsecondary education and offer the support they need to succeed. This session will offer an overview of population trends, what it means to be a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and the importance of university-community partnerships.
In this session you will learn:
- Important population and demographic trends for Latinos in Central Florida
- About existing community organizations and infrastructures serving the Latino community and opportunities for capacity building.
- About the Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) federal designation and what it means to live into this serving identity.
Webinar: Estamos Aquí: Building Momentum & Capacity to Serve the Growing Latinx Population in Central Florida for Postsecondary Success
Date and Time: Thursday, October 15, 2020, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. EST