The Dolphins control the 2020 NFL Draft. They have 14 picks, the most in the league, and could go in a number of different directions. The whole draft hinges on what the Dolphins do at No. 5. Do they wait and see who falls to them at five or do they use their abundance of picks to move up and ensure they get their guy? Rumors are swirling that Miami likes Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert more than Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa, but should any rumor be believed with such little time before the draft? It could easily be a ploy so they don’t have to give up additional assets in a trade up.
The Dolphins have needs all over the field, with the exception of outside cornerback. Quarterback, running back and offensive linemen are all needed on offense. All three levels of the defense need improvement as well. Miami could use its 14 picks on an influx of 14 young players, or the Dolphins can pick their spots to move up for higher picks throughout the draft process. It’s anybody’s guess how it plays out.
Here’s a look at where the Dolphins will be picking in the 2020 NFL Draft along with updated selections:
Dolphins draft picks 2020: When does Miami pick?
The Dolphins’ first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft will come at No. 5 overall in the first round. Miami enters the draft with 14 picks in total, the most of any team.
|1||18 (Via Steelers)|
|1||26 (Via Texans)|
|2||56 (Via Saints)|
|5||153 (Via Cardinals)|
|5||154 (Via Steelers)|
|5||173 (Via Rams)|
|7||227 (Via Colts)|
|7||246 (Via Chiefs)|
Dolphins NFL Draft needs
- Offensive line: The Dolphins need two new tackles to protect whoever their young quarterback is.
- Safety: Miami has some decent players at safety like Eric Rowe, but there is plenty of room for improvement.
- Defensive line: Christian Wilkins is a good piece in the middle of the defensive line to build off of, but the Dolphins need multiple pass rushers off the edge.
- Running back: Ryan Fitzpatrick led the Dolphins in rushing last season. Need I say more?
- Quarterback: The most important and the most obvious. Fitzpatrick can be a bride guy, but who will lead the Dolphins out of the abyss?
Dolphins mock draft 2020
Here are the latest 2020 NFL Draft projections for the Dolphins, according to Vinnie Iyer’s seven-round mock draft:
|1||18 (Via Steelers)||Xavier McKinney||S||Alabama|
|1||26 (Via Texans)||De’Andre Swift||RB||Georgia|
|2||39||Laviska Shenault Jr.||WR||Colorado|
|2||56 (Via Saints)||Ezra Cleveland||OT||Boise St.|
|4||141||David Woodward||LB||Utah St.|
|5||153 (Via Cardinals)||James Lynch||DT||Baylor|
|5||154 (Via Steelers)||Jonathan Garvin||EDGE||Miami|
|5||173 (Via Rams)||A.J. Green||CB||Oklahoma St.|
|6||185||Steve Wirtel||LS||Iowa State|
|7||227 (Via Colts)||Tyre Phillips||G||Miss. St.|
|7||246 (Via Chiefs)||Scott Frantz||OT||Kansas St.|