Calgary house fire claims lives of cat and hamster, displaces 4 people

Canada

Two animals are dead and four people have been displaced after a fire ripped through a home in southwest Calgary late Thursday afternoon.The Calgary Fire Department said firefighters were called to a blaze in the 100-block of Oakhampton Place S.W. just before 4:30 p.m.Story continues below

“The call came to dispatch from the homeowner, who was met with smoke at their front entrance,” the fire department said in a news release. “Upon entry through the front door, fire crews encountered smoke and high heat. Firefighters then initiated an aggressive interior search to locate the seat of the fire.READ MORE: Firefighters rescue woman, birds from burning home in southeast CalgaryThe fire department said fire attack crews made their way to the basement of the home where they discovered the source of the flames and quickly put out the blaze.No humans were home at the time of the blaze and no firefighters were injured. However, two animals died as a result of the fire.“Due to the high heat and smoke, a cat and hamster perished,” the CFD said. “Firefighters performed CPR on the cat, but despite these efforts, were not able to revive the animal.”Watch below: Some videos from Global News’ coverage of fire-related stories in the Calgary area.Fire in Calgary community of Penbrooke Meadows

Leave a Reply